This page shows the latest tectonic and volcanic activity happening around the world, updated as it happens.
• Earthquakes larger than M2.5 in the last 30 days are shown.
• Earthquake in the last 24 hours are marked in red, older ones in black.
• It may take up to 30 minutes for new earthquakes to be added to the data feed: details here.
• Volcano data is from the Smithsonian Institute's Global Volcanism Program.
• Alerts are from the Smithsonian/USGS Weekly Volcanic Activity Report (updated every Wednesday)
• Active volcanoes have ongoing activity according to the GVP database
• Dormant volcanoes aren't erupting now but have done at some point in human history.
• Plate boundaries and names are from:
-Bird 2003, An updated digital model of plate boundaries, Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems, 4(3), 1027
-DeMets, C., Gordon, R. G., and Argus, D. F., 2010, Geologically current plate motions, Geophysical Journal International, 181(1), 1
site code last updated 29 Jul 2019